Contact me at this email address.

michaelallenott@gmail.com

Friday, July 1, 2016

Because He Knows My Name



     For an audio version of this message
please click on the link below:

michaelottministries.podomatic.com


     This is a well-known Psalm and one of my very favorite chapters in the bible. While reading it again today I decided to make some notes on some things that were revealed to me about it. There are many more things to say about these verses but I just listed a few.


Psalm 91 ESV

1. He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

     We must choose to live in this shelter. It is up to us to stay in his safety by abiding in his presence. The same as when Jesus said “if you abide in me and my words abide in you then you can ask what you will and it will be done for you.” We make the choice to abide in his presence and stay in his shadow.

2. I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

     We should say this every day. This is a declaration of our trust in him.

3. For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.

     Here the Psalmist begins to worship Almighty by describing his protection. He is declaring the goodness and the name of God as he continues speaking of the goodness of God.

4. He will cover you with his pinions, .and under his wings you will find refuge;
His faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

     As we learn to abide in his presence and his shadow then we will know his protection. I really believe if we daily and continually speak of his goodness and protection then we shall never be without it.

5. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

6. Nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

7. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

8. You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked.

     These are the results of abiding in his shadow and in his presence. We must learn to be completely conscious of his presence at all times. I believe the reason we suffer loss and are under attack is because we get distracted and lose consciousness of his abiding presence with us.

9. Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place, the Most High, who is my refuge.

    See in this verse, we make the LORD our dwelling place. God dwells in us but sometimes we lose focus and are partly abiding in him and mostly abiding in the world.

10. No evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent.

11. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

12. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.

13. You will tread on the lion and the adder; the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

     All of these wonderful promises are to those who choose to stay in worship and stay in his presence at all times and then we go to the next verse where the Psalmist goes from worship to prophecy. In the previous verses the Psalmist was speaking to God and now God starts speaking through the Psalmist.

     These are God’s words:

14. “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.

     How did he hold fast to God in love? He worshiped him and declared his goodness to all who trust him. This act of love and worship is the way we hold fast to our loving Father who protects us. One translation says “because he has set his love upon me.” It’s training our heart and our affections on God that keeps us in this wonderful place of deliverance.

Verse 14 says I will protect him because he knows my name.

    It’s not just that he knows God’s personal name but he knows who God is. God is all the things listed in the previous verses, He is God, He is almighty, he is deliverer, and he is protector and our refuge and fortress. He is all this and more.

     When someone says a name to you the first thing that comes to your mind is not the letters of the name but the character of the person whose name was called. For example if I say the name Judas Iscariot you don’t think J U D A S and think of all the letters. You think of the reputation behind the name. When I say Judas Iscariot you probably think betrayer or traitor. This is what it means to know his name.

     This is why in the scriptures in the original language there are so many names for God. He is trying to show us who he is by the names he chooses. And yet there are still more promises to come.

15. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble;

I will rescue him and honor him.

16. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

     What salvation will he show us? Jesus is our salvation. In the original language that is even his name.

     There is yet so much more hidden in this one chapter and we should read it aloud every day. I would like for each of you to turn this chapter into a prayer of declaration to speak out loud every day. Write your own from your heart and here is an example to go by that I put together. Just be sure you do it from a thankful heart and set your love and your affection upon him as you read it.

     Here is my declaration:

Almighty wonderful God, I dwell in your shelter and abide in your shadow.

You are my refuge and my fortress and I trust only in you.

Thank you for delivering me from the snare of the fowler and the deadly pestilence.

Thank you for protecting me under you wings and your truth is my shield and buckler.

Because of you I am not afraid of the terror of night or the arrow that flies by day. Nor the pestilence of darkness or the destruction at noon day.

Thousands may fall at my side and ten thousand at my right hand but it will not come near me. My eyes behold the reward of the wicked.

I make you my refuge and my habitation. No evil shall befall me or any plague come near my dwelling.

For you give your angels charge over me and all my loved ones to keep us in all our ways. They bear us up in their hands so that we don’t even stump our toes or bruise our feet.

Because of you I will tread upon the lion and the adder, the young lion and that old dragon called the devil I will trample under my feet.

I know you will deliver me and set me upon the high places because I set my love and trust upon you.

I know who you are. You are My God, my deliverer, my fortress, my strength, my might, my salvation, and my rock. 

You are wonderful counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. You are above all, exalted and worthy of all worship and honor and glory for ever and ever.

I know you always answer when I call and help me out of trouble and you give me long life and I will know your salvation. Thank you for being who you are and for adopting me as your child. I love you Father.

Amen.



     I hope you are encouraged by these words.
Until Next time,
Grow Rich in His Grace,
I love you all,
michael

For more information please click on the links below: