Contact me at this email address.

michaelallenott@gmail.com

Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Porch Light



Matthew 4:16

The people which sat in darkness saw a great light
and to them which sat in their region and shadow of death light is sprung up. 

     Recently while driving through the countryside right before sunset I passed by an old farm that reminded me of where I was raised. The instant I passed by the house the front porch light came on. It took me back many years to my childhood when we lived on an old dairy farm that was closed down. We rented the house and there were fields and woods and a few cows that the landlord raised on the property. It reminded me so much of the place I was raised but the thing that moved me was the light coming on.

     When we were kids growing up times were different. There were no video games or cable TV or anything that would keep you inside the house. Especially in the summertime since we had no air conditioning. We all had jobs to do and chores to do so when we would get a free day we would scatter. Mama would tell us to get out from under her feet and go outside. We would run through the fields and woods or go fishing in the pond behind the house. Many times I would ride my bicycle a few miles to my friend's house to ride horses. We would be gone all day but there was always one unwritten rule: Be home when the porch light comes on. We would wait until the last possible moment and then race to get home.

     Just as I saw the porch light come on at this old house I heard the voice of the Holy Spirit tell me that this is what time it is in the world. We as a church need to understand that we are at the end of an age and the world is drifting into darkness.

     As children there were many important things that we needed to learn. We had schoolwork, homework and a family to be a part of but when it started to get dark there was only one thing that mattered: Get the kids home safe.

     That's where we should be as the children of God. It's time we as a church put aside the things that separate us in doctrine and quit arguing over things. I'm not saying that the doctrines of our walk with God are not important. I'm saying that we are responsible for those that are lost and it's time we took responsibility for those who are lost and get them into the kingdom before it's too late.

     The most important thing is to reach them no matter what. We need to tell them that Jesus loves them and has a place of safety for them in this dark world. We as a church need to be that porch light that shines and says "there is safety here." When someone asks the question "am I my brother's keeper?" the answer should be an immediate "yes I am." Jesus left us in charge of preaching this gospel and it's our responsibility to do it. Reach all you can any way you can while there is time.

     For you kids who have wandered out into the world to play and are miles away from the porch: You need to come home now. Don't delay. You know you are welcome back home at Father's house. He will welcome you with open arms. You won't even make it back to the porch. He'll meet you halfway across the fields and lead you the rest of the way. Hurry home family, we love you!

     Now to those of you who may be lost and have no idea what I'm talking about here. There is a family of God and we want you to be a part of it. This is a family of love and hope and it's an eternal life that never ends and throughout all ages it will get better and brighter.

     Our Father has already done all that was necessary to make you part of our family. It's more than adoption. It's rebirth. You can leave the doomed family that you were born into and be reborn into our family.

     How do I do that? You may ask. It's not hard. Father will give you the faith it takes to be born again as a free gift. All you have to do is believe in His son Jesus. Scripture says that if you believe in your heart upon the Lord Jesus and believe that God raised him from the dead and confess Him as Lord with your mouth then you will be saved.

     So call on Him today, He has already taken your sin to his cross and born your punishment. Be reconciled to Him. Accept Jesus as your savior today and come be part of His family. Do it quickly, the light is on and your family is waiting. There is room for all of you on God's porch. If you need help making this decision or need anything else please contact us and we'll be happy to welcome you into our family.

I hope you are encouraged by these words.

Until next time,

Grow Rich in His Grace,

I love you all,

michael

For more information please visit our website at:

No comments:

Post a Comment